Saturday, August 2, 2008

Corn Shuckers For Hire




We started our day by going to the Amish and picking up the corn we had ordered. The kids were eager to help. The eagerness wore off as they began to get hot, tired, and hungry, but it quickly returned when they learned that if they weren't working they were headed to bed for a nap. Possum shucked a baker's dozen all by himself. It took him half a day, but he did it. He actually did a very good job. Squirrel could get the corn shucked, but had a hard time getting it silked. We love corn, but as I was finishing up the last of the 19 dozen ears that we had bought I was wondering "Is it really worth all the work?". When I see the kid's faces as they eat the corn I know the answer is yes. Needless to say, it has been a very long day.

2 comments:

Netta said...

they will be so excited when they get to eat "their" corn that they worked so hard for :)

Nai Nai said...

Wish I had some!!!
I can remember many summers shuckin corn.