Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Cake Disaster of '08






Maddie's birthday was this past Wednesday and so Possum, Squirrel, and myself traveled over to help celebrate. The party was Saturday morning. Originally, Maddie wanted a Dorothy the Dinosaur cake (from the Wiggles). Then she decided she liked Dora the Explorer better. Cricket and I searched the Internet for cake designs that we liked, but we just weren't happy with them. We finally narrowed our search down to about 3 cakes. Cricket showed Mike the pictures and he like the topsy turvy (think Dr. Seuss) design best. I had been wanting to try one of these cakes so I was game. Cricket and I made the cakes Thursday so we could get them in the freezer so they could be carved. Friday came and I eagerly got to work. I learned really quickly that me and topsy turvy don't mesh. It was awful. I don't know how these bakers do it. They have to have a special pan/cutter or something. We tried to salvage the cake, but you can see what ended up happening. Cricket took a layer got two forks and said dig in. It killed me to not be able to use the cake. I tried to think of anyway to be able to use the mess that I had created. In the end I just couldn't let my niece have such an ugly birthday cake. So at about 6:00 that night we started all over with the cake. I took a very safe way out. Even with the second cake I had problems though. The kitchen got too warm, because of the stove and dishwasher and my fondant started melting. Cricket gave me a break and rolled fondant for a little bit while I caught my breath. We were just glad to have a finished cake at the end of the night. On Saturday morning before the party Maddie and Squirrel decided they needed to check out the cake and started playing with Dora and Boots and the top layer started caving. This was before the party had even started! I guess all that matters is that Maddie liked her cake and it did taste good!

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

In the end, it looked great!

Sherrie said...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS UP WITH THE Sheri sign on. That was me NaiNai.

Cris said...

Well despite all your problems it looks really pretty!!

K. Franks said...

The finished product looks great! umm speaking of cakes, I need to talk to you about a specific white cake maybe around the month of June... :-) We can talk about it over Christmas!! All the Christmas pics of the kids are too cute!! Hope all is well :)

MeLeahcricket said...

It turned out wonderful. Thank you again for the help. I love that we live so close.